Thursday, March 4, 2010

No matter which language, I tend to be the butt of the jokes!




Nickie and I headed out on an adventure we'll never forget. We had countless confirmation papers, passports and tickets in hand as we rode the Tube to Baker Street to catch the Easybus to the Stansted Airport. Well, let's just say that Easybus didn't prove to be so easy. Missing our first shuttle bus - what a great way to start our trip! I was told to take a taxi at least once during my stay in London, although I don't think an hour long trip was recommended. Our driver was a very nice, funny, British man named Frank Dummer. He had many stories and jokes which made us happy. Our conversation ranged from travel, family names, islands with homosexual communities, politics and the Olympics...it was quite the ride! Initially I was all for the taxi ride, but as soon as we hit the highway it seemed as though the numbers on the meter were increasing at a rapid rate. All I can say is, we made it to the airport on time. I may have to re-work my budget after that ride though! We flew Ryanair to Frankfurt - all went great. We even landed on time and we found out Ryanair is very proud when this happens. We were greeted at the airport by Ola, her dad and her boyfriend, Kai. What great people! Ola was as cute as ever and had a sign that read, "Welcome to Germany!"...so wonderful.

The time we spent at the Soller home was fantastic. Essentially, we were spoiled to death. Anything we wanted or needed they supplied. I don't think I've ever eaten so much chocolate in my life! It was so nice having a home-cooked meal and a warm, cozy bed to sleep in. Her mom prepared some traditional German meals such as sausage, potato salad and rouladen. Ola's parents spoke English well. It made me become aware of my own English which made me realize how poorly I speak. I tried hard to learn some German phrases which only led to laughter! I swear, German or English, I am the butt of the jokes! Almost everything that came out of my mouth, I'm sure they thought was ridiculous. I just wanted to communicate with them so badly - they were such great people! Oh well, I hope I brought them some happiness...ha!

Our days were spent touring castles, visiting Wurzburg and Aschaffenburg. We saw many beautiful Churches and stunning German architecture. Aschaffenburg is a great little town with a lot to see and do. We had dinner at Schlappe-Seppel pub/bar where I tried the Schlappe-Seppel beer - not much of a fan. The place was great though - traditional German atmosphere. Earlier that day we went to school with Ola. She only had 2 lessons. Nickie and I sat in on her English lesson and it seemed to be a joke. It was only 30 minutes long and the teacher had them read about 5 pages...sign me up! After class got out, we hung out in a common room in the school while we waited for one of Ola's friends. Whoa...what a sight! The place was a MESS. Completely trashed. There was garbage and rotting food all over the floors. The chairs/couches were torn and the walls were splattered with who knows what! I didn't want to even walk into the room let alone sit on the disgusting furniture. I was shocked at what a pit the place was. There were even beer bottles scattered about...unbelievable!

Being at Ola's home was a wonderful experience. Being immersed in another language and culture, even for a few days, taught me a lot. Her family was so similar to ours, it made me feel comfortable and at home. We are so lucky to have met them. I hope one day they will come to the US so we can reciprocate. What a great 5 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment