Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Love Never Dies, but she does.


Yet again, Vilma took us to lunch for Senior Seminar. We had a speaker - a woman from China who immigrated to London 15 years ago. She was very charismatic and explained to us why she came to the UK and how it has changed her life. Because of her we ate lunch at Wong Kei, a restaurant in Chinatown. It was delicious!!! I struggled with the chopsticks and Justin had to give me some tips. No having a fork was hard...ha! After lunch I made my way to The Imperial War Museum. I don't so much like the war stuff but they have a great Holocaust exhibit. I am fascinated to learn about the Holocaust but it just makes my heart hurt. I spent nearly 2 hours there reading about Hitler, watching video footage, listening to clips from survivors and looking at models of different camps. How something so awful took place I'll never understand. It was another rainy, cold day in London so I felt good going to a museum. I hear it's in the 70's and sunny at home - how awesome! At this rate, maybe it'll be mid 80's by the time I come home ;)

Tonight I went to Love Never Dies. Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote a sequel to the classic The Phantom of the Opera. I was tentative about going because sequels are just never as good as the originals. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I went by myself because no one else seemed interested. The music was wonderful and the singers were unbelievable. The show is set in New York on Coney Island so it is very carnival-like. Just as the original, the set was phenomenal! It got a little cheesy from time-to-time but I'm glad I went. The show detailed Christine's life 10 years after the last show ended. She married Raul and had a son, Gustav. Throughout the show we learn who Gustav's real father is (dun dun dun!) and how Christine dies. I really liked the show as long as I didn't think of it as a sequel. I was thoroughly entertained and glad I went because if I didn't curiosity might have killed me. It is in it's debut-run in London so who knows...maybe it will take off!

No comments:

Post a Comment