Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The beginning of another week

Monday offered a day full of classes yet again. It felt great turning in my 1900 word essay to Justin in British Life and Culture - one paper down, countless to go. Justin taught us all about the Jack the Ripper murders of 1888. I loved hearing the stories! Sick? Maybe. The 5 women murdered were all prostitutes in London's East End. At the time, it was very poor Jewish community. Because the information about the murders is inconsistent and vague, there are many speculations as to who the Ripper was. We concluded that it is hard to say why the public, after over 100 years, is still fascinated with the events. Maybe it is because we can make up our own story about what we think happened. There are Jack the Ripper walks that lead you through the streets of the East End at night and I really want to go on one.

I had to register for my Fall classes. How stressful! I've never had any issues registering for classes, so why is it so difficult my senior year? I only have 1 more requirement for my Core classes (needed for graduation), 1 for my major and 1 for my minor. But, as of now I'm only registered for 11 credits for the fall. That is not nearly enough - every other semester I've taken 17 or 18. I am in contact with a few professors and my advisor about what to do, it is just so stressful being in London. It's not like I can just bop in and meet with someone to discuss the situation. Anyway, after I dealt with that mess, Hannah, Calleigh and I went to Zetland Arms for some snacks and a drink. Justin met us there and we had a nice, relaxing evening.

Today Vilma had us over for an "open-house". Her husband and daughter left so she is alone now. She had us over for snacks and then took us to Cafe Mambo for some Colombian lunch. She loves ethnic food so it's fun to try. It was so nice of her to have us! I spent the afternoon still trying to register and wrote some papers. Drama class took us to Zone 2. We saw The Gods Weep and it was very different. I couldn't believe where the story went but it was good. It started out with a board meeting and some high executives. There is a divide between two CEOs and then it leads to warfare and primitive times. There was a lot of blood and death. It was loosely based off of Shakespeare's King Lear. The main character was played by Jeremy Irons who is Scar's voice from Disney's The Lion King. So, I've seen Mufasa and Scar on stage...chalk that up for experience! I enjoyed the show a lot. I got back to the flat and had a nice conversation Nickie. It's always so nice talking to her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment