I spent my weekend in rural England in a small village called Aylsham. Martyn and Sue picked me up from the train station on Friday afternoon. I don't even know how to write this blog because my weekend was just pure crazy. I was picked up and Martyn soon escorted me to a huge motor home. Yes, a motor home in England! What are they thinking?!? I got inside and Sue was knitting in the back. She told me they sold all of their vehicles last year to buy a motor home and now that's all they drive. So, I spent the weekend bumping along narrow, English roads in an RV! No joke - so crazy! I would sit on the back couch and just smile to myself because I truly could not believe it. Whoa. Oh, and guess what Sue was knitting? She was knitting "jumper extensions". You did hear me right. She makes jumpers (sweaters) and she recently shrunk a load of Martyn's jumpers. So she is making his sleeves longer. He was wearing one on Sunday - grey extensions on a red jumper. Oh, yes.
So, Martyn and Sue have huge hearts and were very kind to me. BUT....my time at their home wasn't easy. Their house was a complete mess. I don't mean to sound rude at all, but you could not imagine how disgustingly dirty it was. Eeek. After lunch one day, Martyn told me to throw my leftover bacon on the ground for the dogs. On the ground. No way - he couldn't be serious? Well, he was. And then I watched Martyn and Sue throw their empty yogurt cups on the ground for the dogs too. Unreal. Also, there wasn't soap in the bathroom so I had to bring my body wash with me. Every inch of every wall in their home was covered by a picture or map. I guess it gave me something to look at...but it was completely random. Martyn would be telling me a story, as he loved to do, and he'd take me to a little corner of the house and show me the picture! It was like their photo album had gotten violently ill.
Throughout the weekend we saw Blickling Hall and Baconthorpe Castle. We also ventured (in the motor home) to the sea in Cromer. I found it so funny that before we went anywhere, Martyn turned on the gas in the RV and made us tea. I bet I had 10 cups in 48 hours! I learned to love it though because the English put milk in their tea which is great :)
So overall, my weekend was...eventful. The Fox's hearts are in the right place - their vacuum just isn't. I am glad I got to experience daily life outside of the city. They are very proud of their country and loved asking me questions about mine. I hope they didn't mind having me. Even with her MS, Sue was up to show me everything! She wanted me to see everything that Aylsham had to offer and I'm thankful for that. What a trip.
So, Martyn and Sue have huge hearts and were very kind to me. BUT....my time at their home wasn't easy. Their house was a complete mess. I don't mean to sound rude at all, but you could not imagine how disgustingly dirty it was. Eeek. After lunch one day, Martyn told me to throw my leftover bacon on the ground for the dogs. On the ground. No way - he couldn't be serious? Well, he was. And then I watched Martyn and Sue throw their empty yogurt cups on the ground for the dogs too. Unreal. Also, there wasn't soap in the bathroom so I had to bring my body wash with me. Every inch of every wall in their home was covered by a picture or map. I guess it gave me something to look at...but it was completely random. Martyn would be telling me a story, as he loved to do, and he'd take me to a little corner of the house and show me the picture! It was like their photo album had gotten violently ill.
Throughout the weekend we saw Blickling Hall and Baconthorpe Castle. We also ventured (in the motor home) to the sea in Cromer. I found it so funny that before we went anywhere, Martyn turned on the gas in the RV and made us tea. I bet I had 10 cups in 48 hours! I learned to love it though because the English put milk in their tea which is great :)
So overall, my weekend was...eventful. The Fox's hearts are in the right place - their vacuum just isn't. I am glad I got to experience daily life outside of the city. They are very proud of their country and loved asking me questions about mine. I hope they didn't mind having me. Even with her MS, Sue was up to show me everything! She wanted me to see everything that Aylsham had to offer and I'm thankful for that. What a trip.
Katie,
ReplyDeleteWay to be adventurous and open-minded! The Fox family sounds a little zany, to be sure. I was commenting to your mom on Friday night that the short homestays are usually doomed. There is something about only being with them for a short time, so the relationship or appreciation or something never develops. I had a mountain homestay in Nepal for one week - disaster.
I am amazed that folks who do not have subsidized gas prices and have to purchase it by the liter drive an RV! I hope you post some photos from this adventure.
How did the British coast compare to the Italian coast?
I hope you're well! We miss you.
Beth
You are so right about short stays - kind of a disaster! The British coast can't even compare to the Italian coast - but still beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI miss you all too!