Yet again, Vilma took us somewhere we could have lunch. I'm not complaining, I'm just sick of not knowing what I'm eating! We learned all about the Sikh faith in Southall London at a new Gurdwara. The Gurdwara is a place of worship for Punjabi Sikhs meaning, " the house of the guru". The Sikh religion is a monotheistic faith who worship the same god as Christian's do. It was fascinating learning about the 5 K's of the faith and why they wear what they do. Sikhs are not allowed to cut their hair and it must be covered. The man who spoke to us was a very devout Sikh following all 5 K's of the religion. He even carried a Kirpan which is a small sword. Sikhs are allowed to carry a sword in England even with high knife crime rates in the country. Prior to 9/11 they could even wear them on the plane. He explained that the reason we didn't know about the sword "law" of the faith was because there has never been any issues. The Sikh faith is very giving and charitable and does not discriminate against anyone who believes differently. We got to enter the actual place of worship on one of the biggest holidays called Baisakhi so the place was packed. We had lunch there and it was pretty crazy. It is rude to leave food on our tray so we had to stomach it all and I honestly don't know what I ate. I had some bread and that was all I recognized...eek. It was a great experience.
After "class" I hopped the Tube to Westminster Abbey. I've attended a service there but I've wanted tour it as well. I've been waiting for a rainy day so that I don't spend nice day inside. Well, it was cold and windy today so I went. It was very impressive. The building is huge, old and there are many famous monarchs and poets buried there. It was packed with visitors but I'm still glad I got to learn about the space. I saw where Dickens, Chaucer and Handel were buried. I rode the Tube back to my flat and I swear people thought I was really sad. I got hit hard with allergies today and my eyes would not stop watering! It was terrible! You know that feeling? When you know it's coming and there is nothing you can do...ick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wonder if you will be hit with the ashes from the valcano in Iceland too? Crazy! I heard they stopped all air travel at the London Airport too. I hope you won't be traveling for a few days until it clears. Dave Kuehn and their family are in Germany now, wonder if that will effect them. What do you hear there?
ReplyDeleteHmm - so busy "traveling" to Paris she couldn't respond...pretty tough. Glad she's having so much fun - and studying too.
ReplyDelete