Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!




Saturday was a wonderful day. I woke up and wandered around Fleet Street. I know there isn't much there but I just couldn't be in London and not visit it. I took some pictures, found a hair salon (ha!) and headed back. As soon as the got to South Ken I got a call from Hannah. I got back on the Tube to meet Alan, Justin, Hannah and Molly at a pub near Hammersmith. There we watched the big football match between Chelsea and Manchester United. It was so much fun to see the pub so rowdy. It was definitely a Chelsea crowd so it was fun to see them win :) After the game we walked to the river to watch the famous Cambridge/Oxford boat race. It has been a tradition for over 100 years for the two colleges to compete. We got a great spot on a levee and had some snacks and drinks as we waited. The sun was out for most of the afternoon so it was lovely. The race only lasts 16-19 minutes and we saw about 60 seconds of it but it was so much fun. It felt kind of like Lumberjack Days on the river. Everyone was out having a good time cheering on the boaters. After the race we made our way back to South K.

Saturday night could best be described at a S*** Show but one of the best nights so far. Justin, Hannah, Calleigh and I initiated the party and came up with the theme. So....our party was called, "S to the Power of...". Everyone was encouraged to wear socks on their hands, scarfs and sunglasses. All of those "s's" led to a fun game of "wear anything that starts with an s". What a crazy time! We played some games and hung out in our crazy garb all night. At midnight I ate a Cadbury chocolate bar because Lent was over but I ended up chomping my tongue! I was bleeding like crazy..not good. Oh well, makes for a good story and some funny pictures :) Getting up for mass this morning was definitely "fun". Hahaha

Anne and I went to mass at the Oratory this morning. We found out that Easter Mass in London is not similar to the states where you need to arrive an hour early. We did that and walked in on the 9:00am mass...oops! We grabbed some coffee and a muffin at Costa and then went to mass. The church was packed but we found a spot for two easily. All during Lent, the church had the all the statues covered in purple cloth and today they were revealed - it was really neat. Today was beautiful day in London so Hannah, Anne, Justin and I went to Petticoat Lane Market and Spitalfields Market in the East End. We had fun poking fun at crazy clothing and looking at some of the junk there. The Spitalfields Market is by far my favorite though - not junky and very cute. We wandered for a few hours and then took a scenic bus back. For Easter dinner, Amy and Cassie's moms cooked ham for us all - how delicious! We ate as though we haven't seen food for months. It was wonderful having a home-cooked meal...wow! I miss my family though - I sure wish I could be with them all. This is weird not being with my immediate family two Easters in a row.

3 comments:

  1. The tongue grossed us out a bit but we missed you too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?! Even after reading the blog, I just couldn't believe that was blood; I thought it looked like string until I enlarged it. A little graphic...

    Sounds like you're having a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm sorry it's a little graphic, but I just couldn't believe it!

    I am continuing to love London and am having a blast! I can't believe I will be stateside in less than a month. Hope to see you all soon after my return!

    ReplyDelete