Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Yes, there was a mouse in the Underground


Today was marathon of a day. My Senior Seminar class took a trip to The Banqueting House (part of parliament where largest banquets were held..duh. Also were King Charles the first was beheaded) and to The Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill Museum. Built during WWII to protect Churchill and his cabinet from bombs and such, the rooms were sealed after the war ended and weren't re-opened until the 1980's. They were practically untouched and in impeccable condition. It was essentially a bomb-shelter which had a bunch of different rooms and compartments. It is now a museum/tour and really neat. The Churchill museum was also fascinating - Winston was a funny guy. One quote read, "I always believed in staying in the pub until closing time"...what's not to like?

I also stopped by 10 Downing Street - the official residence of the Prime Minister. After some lunch and some rest Calleigh, Hannah and I took the Tube (for the second time) to Primark. It was CRAZY - it is a huge store that is a mix of TJMaxx and H&M and super cheap. I will definitely be going back to make a purchase...or two! Today I was looking for brown legging/tights and could not find anything. Oh, but I did find something awful. Ready for this? Jeggings. Yep, jeggings - they are a horrendous mix of jeans and leggings..bleh. If I come home with a pair, I grant you all permission to slap me :)

Tonight FIE hosted a welcome reception for all for the students from the U.S. We were given free food and 2 drinks - they understand incentives! It was fun talking to a few other students but mostly hanging out with our group. I entered in on the drawing but of course my numbers did not get drawn - I'm ok with that though because the money was going to help Haiti. A bunch of us hopped another tube to Picadilly Circus to see a free comedy show - Sadly, we couldn't find the venue. We'll have to try again another time I suppose. On the way home though, Calleigh and I saw a mouse in the Tube station carrying a piece of bread bigger than itself - totally freaked me out because it was so unexpected. I guess I really am in a city...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting. I want Jeggings. Oh, and you don't have to live in London to find mice...guess what I found in Mom's office last Sunday?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would want Jeggings...ugh. What did you find?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are in heaven aren't you? Before you left all you wanted to do was shop and now that is all you are doing!!! Feeling broke yet? I am curious as to when that will sink in...


    Glad to see you're having fun! :D

    ReplyDelete