Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Watch out for the blackouts!"







Class started promptly at 10:00am and Vilma was all smiles. She is our program director from CSB/SJU and teaches our senior seminar class. She started class by playing a youtube video on Canterbury because we are headed there on Saturday. Well, the video starts and the cartoonish characters resemble South Park characters...So as we watched all of a sudden there was some provocative material and let's just say that characters weren't always fully clothed! Instead of stopping the video Vilma says, "Oh boy! I wonder what's going to come next." Haha she is just too funny. Don't worry, nothing else happened. Next we discussed some cultural differences we had observed from our neighborhood. We discuss this often as there seems to be an endless amounts of new things we are seeing as we live day-to-day. Vilma said she noticed a ton of children around the same age and she asked her husband if there had been a blackout in the city within the last year and a half!! Apparently it's popular to ummm, well...you know, let's just say that there isn't much you can do when everything goes black ;) The whole class erupted in laughter as she screamed, "watch out for blackouts!" - she is so great!

I ventured out on my own after lunch. I took the Tube to St. Paul's Cathedral. From there I crossed the Millennium Bridge (famous footbridge that crosses the Thames) to Tate Modern. Tate Modern is a modern art gallery that is housed in an old Power Building right along the river. The place is enormous! I saw some Picasso and Warhol which was very cool. I also passed The Globe Theatre and I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can attend a show there. It was nice walking around and exploring different parts of this gigantic city. I was even asked for directions again - I think the count is up to 4 now!

1 comment:

  1. New York Times Headlines:

    November 9,1965:
    New York Black Out

    August 6, 1966:
    Unusual amount of Births Reported at Local Hospitals

    ReplyDelete