Saturday, January 30, 2010

The sun can shine in England!




Famous last words: "A group of us are headed to the Sports Cafe tonight but won't be out late as we board a bus for Dover tomorrow at 7:50am". Let's just say that after last night, it wasn't very easy to be up at 6:45am! Everyone in our group had a fun night out dancing but 4 hours of sleep was a little hard to work with today. Oh well!

We arrived in Dover around 10am and were dropped off at the castle. Built by Henry II in the 1180's the castle has been changed to meet the demands of weapons and warfare throughout the centuries. Even though there was snow on the ground, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky! I was beginning to doubt whether or not the sun actually existed...no worries, it does! The castle was amazing and offered gorgeous views of Dover and the English Channel. Our tour guide, Angie, informed us that we were very fortunate to have a clear day because across the channel we could see the faint shores of France. Along with wondering the castle grounds and climbing to the roof of the main tower we were given a tour of the Secret Wartime Tunnels. It was an hour long tour that took our group 120 feet below the castle grounds into tunnels used in WW II. There were over 4 miles of tunnels but we only saw about 1/3 of them. During the war the tunnels were used as command headquarters, controlling naval vessels in the Straits of Dover and the deployment of coastal artillery. The area is known as "Hellfire Corner". Situated on the white cliffs, the tunnels and castle provided great views for watching incoming ships and airplanes. I absolutely loved my visit to the castle - I think the sun helped quite a bit!

In the afternoon we headed to Canterbury - what a charming city! We didn't get to spend much time there but we did get to tour the famous Canterbury Cathedral. The cathedral is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England. I suppose it is well-known because of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales which documents stories of pilgrims as they make their way to the shrine of Saint Thomas Becket at Canterbury Cathedral. It was interesting learning the story of the saint and standing where he was murdered within the cathedral. We weren't allowed to view the main quire of the cathedral because a Choral Evensong service was taking place. I didn't mind though because the music was absolutely stunning and added to the whole feel of the visit.

Today was one of the best excursions thus far. I enjoyed seeing the sun and blue sky - you don't even know how truly wonderful it was!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I want to see a castle...and now that Mom booked our trip, it looks like I'll get my opportunity!!

    Oh, and guess what? I bought the BEST slouchy, cowboy, ankle-boots today and you would be PROUD.
    Do you want to know what else I bought? JEGGINGS. yup. You probably wouldn't be so proud of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where are we visiting when you come? Spain?!?

    Lud, I am proud of the boots but not such a fan of the jeggings. But, if you are starting the trend it's better than following it. They are everywhere here - you'd fit right in! How does it feel to be 3 again? Do they have the foot straps? JK! <3

    ReplyDelete