I had my first Senior Seminar class this morning - This is the one and only class that all CSB/SJU students are together. Our director, Vilma, is our professor and she is marvelous. She surprised us with a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum which is just up the road from our flat. I have never seen such an amazing gallery! We got a free, guided tour of the place - I can't wait to get back there and see it all...truly remarkable. I was moved by a piece I saw that was carved in ivory in 980. It was a situla and was used to hold holy water. Depicted on the outside was the passion of the Christ - unbelievable.
A couple of us hit up The Sandwich Shop for lunch and talked in the flat. I decided that I wanted to venture out in the slushy weather and not just sit around. So I bundled up and headed for Harrod's. Just a tube stop away and around the corner was a magnificent building lit by hundreds of small, white lights. It was a sight to see! I ventured inside and could not believe my eyes. Due to some generous family members I was excited to spend a little cash and treat myself to a nice handbag or pair of shoes from the world-renowned department store. Well, let's just say I had fun looking! Even though their sale was a big deal - items that were 70% off still were marked for 500 P! I walked around the store with my jaw to my chin. Women in fur danced around from designer to designer purchasing the latest and greatest. At one point I heard a saleswoman say, "It is only 14,000 P - quite a steal actually"....!! I saw names ranging from Hermes to Jimmy Choo to Burberry to Versace and more - it was quite a sight to see. It was odd though because at one point, and I kid you not, I heard "You're the One that I Want" playing! It was really bizarre. So, Harrod's was an experience and not necessarily the one I was expecting. I did not make a purchase there, but ventured down the street to H&M and bought some great items for only 13P - Now that's more like it.
Alan shared his love of cooking with us and made our whole group a fabulous fajita dinner. It was so great to have a home-cooked meal. We all hung out talking and sharing good ol' (cheap) London wine and beer...Heck, it's the weekend ;)
A couple of us hit up The Sandwich Shop for lunch and talked in the flat. I decided that I wanted to venture out in the slushy weather and not just sit around. So I bundled up and headed for Harrod's. Just a tube stop away and around the corner was a magnificent building lit by hundreds of small, white lights. It was a sight to see! I ventured inside and could not believe my eyes. Due to some generous family members I was excited to spend a little cash and treat myself to a nice handbag or pair of shoes from the world-renowned department store. Well, let's just say I had fun looking! Even though their sale was a big deal - items that were 70% off still were marked for 500 P! I walked around the store with my jaw to my chin. Women in fur danced around from designer to designer purchasing the latest and greatest. At one point I heard a saleswoman say, "It is only 14,000 P - quite a steal actually"....!! I saw names ranging from Hermes to Jimmy Choo to Burberry to Versace and more - it was quite a sight to see. It was odd though because at one point, and I kid you not, I heard "You're the One that I Want" playing! It was really bizarre. So, Harrod's was an experience and not necessarily the one I was expecting. I did not make a purchase there, but ventured down the street to H&M and bought some great items for only 13P - Now that's more like it.
Alan shared his love of cooking with us and made our whole group a fabulous fajita dinner. It was so great to have a home-cooked meal. We all hung out talking and sharing good ol' (cheap) London wine and beer...Heck, it's the weekend ;)
Katie, I love reading of your adventures: classes, museums, shopping, pubs! A great escape from my busy reality - thanks!
ReplyDeleteI was a little let down not to hear a recount of your James Earl Jones in a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof outing...
I tried to describe to G & P how to view the comments people make on your blog (and it was a bit of a long ordeal :), but I think they finally got it! I said I'd call back when I had three hours to help them set up an account to make their own comments.
Enjoy your weekend - or is this semester one long weekend?! j/k
Beth, I try to blog just a portion or bit of my day as to not bore my readers...I completley forgot I didn't mention COAHTR. Well, it was pretty great! The cast was full of amazingly talented actors. James Earl Jones was by far the best! The play was a little different and slow-moving at first. Thankfully, it began to pick up and I enjoyed it. With that cast, I would definitely recommend the show.
ReplyDelete