Oh my gosh! I am currently sitting in my flat and can hear the bumping bass line of a hot party pouring out of the South Kensington Hotel just down the road. We were coming back from a show tonight, turned right onto Manson Place and stopped when we noticed a red carpet, torches and a gathering of paparazzi! Turns out, it was an after party for the Brit Awards! So, even in the pouring rain, we had to stay and watch! With each Mercedes, BMW and Bentley we watched anxiously for which celeb would step out in 4 inch heels or a fine, black suit. By the end of the evening we knew that if the car didn't have tinted windows or it was an Audi or Lexus (can you imagine) you weren't celeb enough...ha! Soooooo I saw: Leona Lewis, Ke$ha (who needed a lot of help from her friends...maybe she had already brushed her teeth with a bottle of Jack), Ginger Spice, Samantha Fox (we had to ask, but apparently she's a porn star and wasn't afraid to put on a little show for the camera), JLS(up and coming band) and Boy George(some guys spotted him smoking on the back porch so I got a sneak peak before the paparazzi noticed and he went inside)! Now, I'm not really a fan of stalking celebs and don't tend to get crazy in their presence, but I have to admit it was pretty cool seeing all of the lavish outfits and cars just down the road from our flat! My toes are completely numb, my hair a mess, and I need to leave for class tomorrow (today) at 8:30am but it was soooo worth it!
Ok, so compared to tonight, the rest of my day was ok. A group of us tried to find the Pancake Race being held on Liverpool Street but alas, we had no luck. I think it must've been cancelled due to the awful weather. Instead, we had crepes! It's Pancake Day here, but I think it's in celebration for Fat Tuesday. I spent the afternoon curled up reading a book because that is the kind of day it was - rainy, cold and gloomy - a true London day. For class tonight we saw Shakespeare's Measure By Measure. The theatre was newly renovated and intimate. I really enjoyed the space. The chairs were goofy - they folded down and I shared mine with an old man - ha! The play was good, but I had a hard time getting into the plot. I enjoy musicals much more. I am glad we saw Shakespeare in England, it seems like a must!
Gosh, what a night!
Ok, so compared to tonight, the rest of my day was ok. A group of us tried to find the Pancake Race being held on Liverpool Street but alas, we had no luck. I think it must've been cancelled due to the awful weather. Instead, we had crepes! It's Pancake Day here, but I think it's in celebration for Fat Tuesday. I spent the afternoon curled up reading a book because that is the kind of day it was - rainy, cold and gloomy - a true London day. For class tonight we saw Shakespeare's Measure By Measure. The theatre was newly renovated and intimate. I really enjoyed the space. The chairs were goofy - they folded down and I shared mine with an old man - ha! The play was good, but I had a hard time getting into the plot. I enjoy musicals much more. I am glad we saw Shakespeare in England, it seems like a must!
Gosh, what a night!
Katie, I have no idea how you'll be able to come back to sleepy Stillwater (or St Joe) after this adventure! It sounds like you're having a great time. Kesha?! Funny.
ReplyDeleteOk - so I only recognized Ginger Spice - one of the Spice girls - right?
ReplyDeleteI so prefer you looking for a Pancake Race...
Love, Mom
I just read Measure for Measure in my Shakespeare class! Crazy. I can't believe you saw all of thsoe celebs too!
ReplyDeleteCatherine, you'll have to explain the play to me a little bit when we chat - I didn't find it that enjoyable, but maybe I was missing something!
ReplyDeleteI had to explain this title to mom. My friends thought this story was really impressive. Alex Welshons flipped. haha Ke$ha= idol.
ReplyDeleteWhy does it not surprise me that Alex likes Ke$ha? Did you tell her that the girl couldn't even keep her eyes open or walk let alone make a coherent sentence? Not someone I would think to idolize, but a sight to see I guess.
ReplyDelete